Thomas Coatsworth and Mary Bainbridge
This is a very edited descendant list. I've concentrated on the descendancy to Sarah Dorothy Coatsworth, my
great-grandmother, and shown her connection to my Dobie family. I've edited out most of the families of those
people not in her direct line.
All of the data previous to Joshua Coatsworth and Sarah Bowman, was taken
from the book,
"The Descendants of Thomas Coatsworth and Mary Bainbridge", by Eva M. Coatsworth,
pub. 1990 by Timbercreek Lt., Rt. 1, Box 242, Miami, Ok. 74534, U.S.A.
Thomas Coatsworth, b. in England.
He married Mary Bainbridge, married 17-Oct-1691, (daughter of Henry Bainbridge and --?--).
Mary: Name also spelled "Marie Bainbrigg" in register.
Witness 1: Ida M. Jackson
- John Coatsworth, baptized 12-Jan-1693 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG, d. 4-Jul-1710. No issue.
- William Coatsworth, baptized 11-Jul-1695 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG, d. 25-Nov-1760 in England.
Low Houses Parish, Abusain (sic), possibly about 1750, but don't know if this is birth date & place or what.
He married Mary Teasdale, married 23-Jan-1718 in Stanhope, ENG.
- John Coatsworth, b. __-___-1719. Not in the Coatsworth book.
- William Coatsworth, baptized 11-Feb-1720 in Stanhope, ENG.
He married Mary Forster, married 15-May-1748.
- Mary Coatsworth, b. 1723, baptized 11-May-1723 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG.
"Twin of Robert. Did not appear on original master chart."
- Robert Coatsworth, b. 1723, baptized 11-May-1723 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG, d. 4-Nov-1802 in Down Houses.
"Twin of Mary. Did not appear on original master chart."
He married Phillis Hurworth, married 3-Mar-1772 in Barningham, DUR, ENG, b. 1738, (daughter of Robert Hurworth and Beatrice Parkyn) baptized 22-Jul-1738 in Brignall, North Yorkshire, ENG, d. 13-Feb-1804.
- Mary Coatsworth, b. 2-Oct-1773 in Low House, Newbiggin.
She married William Collison, married 10-Sep-1796 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG. William: Of Romaldkirk.
- Robert Coatsworth, b. 21-Jan-1775 in Low House, Newbiggin, occupation Miner.
According to the parish register Robert lived in Broket Gill, Newbigging until about 1820, when he was listed as living at Lowhouses.
He married Elizabeth Coulthard, married 1-Nov-1801, (daughter of Thomas Coulthard and Mary --?--).
Elizabeth: Description on descendant chart provided by Jean Capon reads "daughter of Thomas & Mary Coulthard, West Black, Devon, St. John's Parish, Stanhope, Durham, England."
Transcript provided by Paul Joiner describes her variously as a native of Weardale and of Stanhope. Name spellings are COLTHERD and COLTHARD.
- Jane Coatsworth, b. 15-Aug-1802.
- Elizabeth Coatsworth, b. 2-Feb-1807 in Brocket Gill, Middleton, DUR, ENG.
Chart provided by Jean Capon says "Photographed at Stockton-on-Tees, Feb. 2, 1881."
- Joshua Coatsworth, b. 2-May-1812 in Brocket Gill, Middleton, DUR, ENG, d. 14-Aug-1881 in Tilden, Marquette County, Michigan, occupation Mining engineer.
Married by Rev. E. Dowler, minister, Church of England. Age at death was recorded as "68 years, 14 days". Name on death record is "Josiah".
He married Sarah Bowman, married 6-Jul-1837 in Elizabethtown, Marshal County, Virginia, b. 16-Apr-1811 in Cold Springs, Mercer County, Penn., (daughter of Samuel Bowman and Dorothy Smoke) d. 20-May-1888 in Marquette, Michigan.
Sarah: It is possible that her name was Sarah Jane. The photocopy of her father's will is unclear as to whether there is a comma between the names Sarah and Jane in the list of his daughters.
I've listed "Jane" separately just in case there are two people.
- From the "New and Complete Gazetteer of the U.S. (1854)", p.439, taken from
the "Ancestry Gelealogy Library" CDROM: -- "GRAVE CREEK, a thriving
post-village, capital of Marshall county, Virginia, is pleasantly
situated on the left bank of the Ohio, 12 miles below Wheeling. Big and
Little Grave creeks enter the river here, leaving an interval of a mile
in width, on which the village is built. It is divided into two distinct
villages, of nearly equal size, namely, Elizabethtown and Moundsville,
the former of which is the seat of justice. The name of the post-office
is Grave creek. The town contains a classical academy, 2 steam flouring
mills, and about 1200 inhabitants. Moundsville derives its name from the
Mammouth mound, in the vicinity, one of the largest in the United States."
- From the same book, p. 259: "COLD SPRING, a post-office of Lebanon County,
- John Coatsworth, b. 6-Mar-1838 in Bonar's Ridge, Marshall County, Virginia, d. 15-Aug-1838 in Bonar's Ridge, Marshall County, Virginia.
- Samuel Coatsworth, b. 6-Mar-1838 in Bonar's Ridge, Marshall County, Virginia, d. 18-Mar-1903.
- Robert Coatsworth / Coatswood, b. 3-Sep-1839 in Bonar's Ridge, Marshall County, Virginia, d. 8 Nov 1878 in Ishpeming, Marquette Co., Michigan, U.S.A.
Joshua Coatsworth's diary gives death date of 8 Dec. 1878. Death place given as "Salisbury Mine". Robert's surname is given as "Coatswood" in his death record, and his marital status is "married".
- Elizabeth Jane Coatsworth, b. 9-Jan-1841 in Bonar's Ridge, Marshall County, Virginia, d. 4-Apr-1873.
Marriage record states they were married at Wesleyan Methodist Church, by Samuel Down. The marriage record was found in the Land Registry office in Sault Ste. Marie during the inventory taken by APOLROD volunteers.
She married Gordon Murray, married 13-Nov-1862 in Bruce Mines, Ont., b. about 1838 in Dumfries, SCT, (son of Gordon Murray and Ann Dempster).
- Gordon Murray, b. 11 Aug 1863, d. 16 Oct 1941.
- Sarah Murray, b. 5 Jan 1865, d. 19 Jun 1941.
She married John Wasmuth, married 13-Sep-1887, b. 13 Dec 1864, d. 5 Jun 1935.
- Joshua Murray, b. 2 Jul 1867, d. 1935. He married Libby --?--.
- James Murray, b. 15 Aug 1869, d. 1869.
- Sarah Dorothy Coatsworth, b. 17-Jun-1842 in Perrys Lead Mine, St. Francis County, MO, d. 1-Aug-1879 in Port Arthur, Ont.
She married William Currie Dobie, married 15-Apr-1865, b. 1-Sep-1839 in Liverpool, Eng., (son of John David Dobie and Mary Isabella Russell) d. 13-Nov-1928 in Port Arthur, Ont., occupation Police magistrate.
Click here to see this Dobie family.
- Mary Anne Coatsworth, b. 12-Sep-1845 in Perrys Lead Mine, St. Francis County, MO, d. 19-Oct-1903 in Gore Bay, Ont., buried 21-Oct-1903 in Gore Bay, Ont.; Gordon Cemetery.
Obituary states she died of "a breaking up of the system". Jean Capon's and Jacqueline Garrick's documents give birth year as 1845, so that's what I'm using, but 1901 census, Gore Bay, Pg. 8, gives birth year as 1841.
She married Edward Henry Jackson, married 20-Apr-1865 in Bruce Mines, Ont., b. 27-Sep-1843 in Pickering, Ont., (son of John Jackson and Hannah Little) d. 1907 in Gore Bay, Ont., occupation Editor,
Gore Bay Recorder, occupation 1899 - 1907 Sheriff of Manitoulin District, buried in Gordon Cemetery, baptized 8 Apr 1844 in Pickering, Ont., occupation 1881 Builder and contractor.
Edward: His obituary states that he was Sheriff of the District of Manitoulin from 1899 until his death.
- Edward (Ned) Coatsworth Jackson, b. 1-Mar-1866 in Bruce Mines, Ont., d. 22-Apr-1927 in Tamworth, Ont., buried in Gordon Cemetery, Lot 3, West Range.
Middle name of "Coatsworth" from Jeff Stewart, Toronto, Nov, 2001.
He married Grace Sarah Needham, b. 3-Feb-1868 in Melancthon Twp, Grey Co., Ont.,
(daughter of Charles Ebenezer Needham and Elizbeth Gillespie).Grace: "Sarah" from Jeff Stewart,
Toronto <firstname.lastname@example.org>. He gives her name as "Sarah Grace Needham".
- Joshua Jackson, b. 8-Jul-1867 in Bruce Mines, Ont.
Living in British Columbia by mother's death in 1903.
He married Maude Runnells.
- John W. (Jack) Jackson, b. 18-May-1868 in Bruce Mines, Ont.
Marriage witnesses: Herbert Needham and Mary Elizabeth Jackson, Gore Bay. Married by T.G. McAteer, methodist minister.
He married Alice Mary Needham, married 19-Apr-1893 in Gore Bay, Ont., b. 27-Aug-1869 in Melancthon, Ont., (daughter of Charles Ebenezer Needham and Elizbeth Gillespie).
- Samuel Patrick Jackson, b. 12-May-1872 in Bruce Mines, Ont., d. 21-Nov-1928 in Vancouver, BC, buried 24-Nov-1928 in Vancouver, BC; Ocean View Cemetery, occupation Printer, real estate.
Jean Purvis Jackson Capon says: "My family (Sam Jackson & brothers & wives & kids) moved (from Gore Bay) to Vancouver in 1909 . . . ." Residence at time of death was 1538-36 Ave. East, Vancouver. Jacqueline Garrick gives birth day as May 17.
He married Annie Purvis, married 18-Dec-1895 in Gore Bay, Ont., b. 8-Feb-1873 in Kincardine, Ont., (daughter of William Purvis and --?--) d. 14-Feb-1921 in South Vancouver, BC, buried 16-Feb-1921 in Vancouver, BC; Ocean View Cemetery.
Annie: Residence at death: 1538 36th Ave. E., Vancouver. Informant on death record was J.W. Jackson of 1529 8th Ave. E., Vancouver. She died of "Nitral Stenosis".
- William Morley (Bill) Jackson, b. 21-Jul-1873 in Bruce Mines, Ont., occupation Merchant.
Marriage witnesses: S.J. White, Parry Sound & Annie White, Gore Bay. Married by George N. Grey [?]. Middle name from Jacqueline Garrick.
He married Martha (Mattie) White, married 26-Sep-1904 in Gore Bay, Ont., b. about 1875 in Toronto, Ont., (daughter of Charles White and Emma Watts).
Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) Jackson, b. 29-Jul-1876 in Meaford, Ont.
Marriage witnesses: James Fisher, Ida Jackson, Gore Bay. Married by Geo. S. Grey, Methodist.
Mary Elizabeth (Lizzie) Jackson & Robert Jack Hawkey.
Children top l to r: Lawrence b. 1909, Margaret b. 1911,
Bert b. 1906.
Bottom middle, Grace b. 1915.
for this photo.
She married Robert John (Jack) Hawkey, married 12-Jan-1905 in Gore Bay, Ont., b. 1-Aug-1870 in Warkworth, Ont., (son of John Stephens Hawkey and Louisa Rowe) d. 14-Feb-1952 in Airdrie, AB, occupation Teacher.
Robert: Residence at marriage was Calgary. Robert's father's name is given as Edward on Robert's marriage record, but this must be an error on my part or of the registrar's. Birthplace must be from marriage record.
- Sarah Ann (Sally) Jackson, b. 28-Aug-1877 in Gore Bay, Ont.
Marriage witnesses: William & Maud Jackson, Gore Bay. Married by Rev. Isaac Couch, Methodist.
She married John (Jack) Purvis, married 5-May-1897 in Gore Bay, Ont., b. about 1868 in Ontario, (son of William Purvis and Annie --?--) occupation Lighthouse keeper.
- Hannah Maude Jackson, b. 22-Mar-1878 in Gore Bay, Ont.
Methodist, married by Rev. J. More, license.
She married William A. (Bill) Smith, married 12 Jun 1908 in Gore Bay, Ont., (see witness 1, 2) b. about 1884 in Spencerville, Ont., (son of Robert Smith and Margaret Bennett) occupation Merchant.
William: Has or had store in Gore Bay.
- Ida M. Jackson, b. 12-Mar-1883 in Gore Bay, Ont.
Middle initial from 1901 census, Gore Bay.
She married unknown Rowe. Jean Capon's chart says: "(Rowe was a) Bank manager, Wainwright, Alta. & Toronto".
- Angeline Coatsworth, b. 6-Jan-1850 in Perrys Lead Mine, St. Francis County, MO, d. 24-Aug-1924 in Gore Bay, Ont., buried in Gordon Cemetery, Lot 3, West Range.
- Robert Coatsworth, b. 12-Apr-1820.
- First twin Coatsworth. Jean Capon's chart says "died".
- Second twin Coatsworth. Jean Capon's chart says "died".
- Elizabeth Coatsworth, b. 14-Sep-1776 in Low House, Newbiggin.
She married Joseph Swinbank, married 30-May-1801 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG. Joseph: Paul Joiner's transcript of parish records indicates "Swinbank", not "Twinbank".
- William Coatsworth, b. 28-Jan-1779 in Low House, Newbiggin.
He married Jane Stephenson.
- Joseph Coatsworth, b. 30-Jun-1780 in Low House, Newbiggin.
He married Mary Bainbridge, married 18-May-1811 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG. Mary: Jean Capon's chart says "of Bowles".
- Joseph Coatsworth, baptized 24-Aug-1725 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG.
- John Coatsworth, b. 1729, baptized 4-Apr-1729 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG, d. 14-Dec-1807 in Low Houses.
He married Mary Alderson, married 2-Dec-1755 in Romaldkirk, Yorkshire-Durham, baptized 2-Dec-1733 in Romaldkirk, Yorkshire-Durham, d. 29-Apr-1827 in Low Houses.
- Joseph Coatsworth, baptized 4-Feb-1698 in Middleton-in-Teesdale, DUR, ENG, occupation Govt. customs service.
Witness 2: Frank Baxter